Our Biotechnology - Advanced program prepares you with the scientific principles, techniques and skills required in industrial microbiology and chemistry. In this applied science program, you'll also study biotechnology applications, biochemistry, microbial genetics and clinical and environmental microbiology.
In Biotechnology - Advanced courses, you will learn to:
- Isolate, enumerate and identify microorganisms from many types of samples.
- Accurately calibrate and use instruments such as pH and BOD meters, gas chromatographs, spectrophotometers, HPLCs, centrifuges, PCR thermocyclers and gel electrophoresis equipment.
- Prepare media and reagents to culture pathogenic microbes.
- Design and perform advanced microbiology and microbial genetics experiments.
- Isolate DNA and perform gel electrophoresis and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) on samples.
Companies Offering Jobs
Mill Street Brewery, Apotex Inc., Agropur - Divisional Natrel, Griffith Laboratories, Maxxam Analytics, Campbell Soup Company, bioMerieux, Kisko Products, Cosmetica Laboratories Inc., Hermann Laue Spice Company
- You learn from experienced Biotechnology - Advanced instructors who make themselves available for one-on-one time.
- You gain hands-on experience performing activities that are commonly encountered in the field.
- Eight up-to-date laboratories and modern wireless lecture facilities housed at the college's Morningside Campus enhance your learning.
- Thorough laboratory training from the basics to professional skills is provided, encouraging and developing teamwork skills.
- Training in Occupational Health and Safety, WHMIS, GMP, HACCP is to industry standards.
- The Biotechnology, Environmental Technology and Food Science Technology programs share a common first year, which provides the flexibility to transfer between these programs before entering the second year.
Please visit our website for more information on articulation agreements.
Please visit our website for more information on education partners.
The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) recognizes the Software Engineering Technology program as meeting all the academic requirements for certification in the Technologist category.
- The Canadian Information Processing Society and the Canadian Council of Technician and Technologies (CCTT) jointly approved accreditation of this program in 2011. This joint accreditation is the first of its kind in Canada.
- The Software Engineering Technology program has met the national technology accreditation requirements established by the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT) and, as such, has received national accreditation status by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB).
This program has met the national educational standards of Canada’s engineering technology and applied science profession, as such, has received national program accreditation by Technology Accreditation Canada (TAC).
Please note: The qualification requirements and costs for each external accreditation, designation, certification or recognition are set by the granting body — not by Centennial College. In order to qualify for any external accreditations, designations, certifications or recognition, students and graduates will need to follow the processes and meet the applicable requirements listed on the websites and in the materials of those external bodies.
- Quality control technologist
- Quality assurance technologist
- Production and research scientist
- Research associate
- Analytical chemist/microbiologist
- Laboratory technologist
Areas of Employment
In addition to laboratory work, graduates may choose to work in product development, production or sales management.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, or mature student status (19 years or older).
- English Grade 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take the Centennial College English Skills Assessment for Admission.
- Mathematics Grade 11 M or U, or 12 C or U, or equivalent (minimum grade required) or take a Centennial College Engineering Math Skills Assessment for Admission.
About the School
Centennial College is Ontario’s first public college with five campuses in Toronto, Canada. Centennial offers high-quality Canadian Education that is hands-on and employment-focused. Programs at Cente ... Read More