We are excited you are thinking about becoming part of the Hiwassee community! We are here to help you with anything and everything you need. We would love to answer any questions you may have about the College from academics to affordability and beyond. Our campus has grown from a mere seven acres to a larger campus, comprised of eighteen buildings situated on 400 acres. A University Parallel Associate Degree Program contains the first two years of a typical four-year college or university program. Students enrolled in this program are those who expect to transfer to another senior institution following their graduation from Hiwassee College. The Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree is awarded. The faculty and staff of Hiwassee College work closely with our students and with neighboring colleges and universities to ensure smooth and accurate transfer of credits. The College maintains course-bycourse transfer equivalency tables with many four-year colleges and universities to ease transfer and to help the student and his/her adviser with academic program development. In consultation with advisers, students may design an individual program of study to suit their goals and interests in areas such as Allied Health, Business, Education, Liberal Arts, Music, Science, and Pre-Professional. The University Parallel Associate Degree Program offered by the College can be modified in order to better meet the needs of the student and to accommodate the requirements of the senior institution to which the student expects to transfer. However, in making any modifications in a curriculum, the student must be sure to complete all General Education courses required for graduation. CRIMINAL JUSTICE HOMELAND SECURITY - ONLINE PROGRAM (A.A.S.) Social Science Division The Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice (Homeland Security) program prepares students to become qualified professionals in the field of law enforcement, corrections, probation, private security, airports, border patrol, customs investigations, private businesses, emergency and safety management fields, and other related fields. The program will also increase and complement the skills already attained by anyone working in a variety of positions in law enforcement and emergency management.
The student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the criminal justice systems and the various interrelationships among law enforcement agencies, court systems, and correctional facilities.
- Demonstrate the Emergency Management Process.
- Implement Community Planning/Recovery Programs.
- Summarize domestic and international terrorism.
Basic Skills (12 s.h.) Hours Required
- ENGL 1010-1020 – Freshman Composition I & II 6
- COMM 2120 – Oral Communication 3
- CIS 1020 – Application of Business Software 3
Mathematics (6 s.h.)
Humanities (3 s.h.)
- Humanities 2000 – Ethical Reasoning 3
Religion (3 s.h.)
Social or Behavioral Science (15 s.h.)
- Sociology 1010-1020 6
- Psychology 1110 3
- Geography 1010 3
Social Science Elective (Choose from Psychology, 3 Sociology, Economics, Political Science) ______ Total General Education Required Hours 39 Specified Hours in the Major (27 s.h.)
- CRIM 1010 – Introduction to Criminal Justice 3
- CRIM 1310 – Criminal Justice Administration 3
- CRIM 1500 – Introduction to Homeland Security 3
- CRIM 1510 – Introduction to Terrorism 3
- CRIM 2210 – Criminal Law and Procedures 3
- CRIM 2400 – Internship 3
- CRIM 2600 – Criminology 3
- SOCI 2010 – Community Crisis Management 3
- SOCI 2020 – Disaster Sociology 3
Total Specified Hours in the Major 27 ______ Total Hours Required for Graduation 66
Hiwassee College is a place where learning comes in the classroom, but more importantly it comes from real-world experience. You may be surprised how little you see the desk in front of you. Learning is more than hands-on. It’s real life.
With every corner you turn, you will find adventure. Athletics your thing? We’ve got almost every sport available and are always looking for talented new athletes. More the outdoorsy type? Here, you may find yourself rafting down a river of rapids, hiking a challenging trail, or simply taking in the majesty of the beautiful countryside. The following list of colleges and universities have verified that they will accept Hiwassee College’s credits either as direct transfer or case-by-case basis. This is not an exhaustive list, but it is an excellent set of options for students who are earning dual enrollment credits.
- Brevard College
- Bryan College
- Carson-Newman University
- Christian Brothers University
- Clemson University
- Cumberland University
- East Tennessee State Univeristy
- Emory & Henry College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Kentucky State University
- Lincoln Memorial University
- Maryville College
- Milligan College
- Samford University
- St. Petersburg College
- Tennessee Technological University
- Tennessee Wesleyan College
- Trevecca Nazarene University
- Trine University
- Tusculum College
- University of the Cumberlands
- University of Tennessee-Chattanooga
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville