Exeter College is a large, thriving and growing tertiary college which places teaching, learning and student success as our top priority. We enjoy an excellent regional reputation. The College was judged as outstanding by Ofsted in a pilot "no notice" inspection in 2012, and again in a full inspection in 2014. We were awarded the Times Educational Supplement 'Outstanding Provider of the Year in 2012 and BTEC College of the Year in 2014.
We have high expectations of our students and staff and each year their combined efforts result in excellent exam grades, outstanding training successes and brilliant music, art, sports and community achievements. We welcome students of all ages and abilities and our tutorial and learner support programmes are designed to meet their needs, challenging them to reach their full potential.
Exeter College provides tertiary education for around 10,000 – 12,000 students. The college was established in 1970 as the first tertiary college in the UK, bringing together the former grammar schools' sixth forms and Exeter Technical College.
Our recent successes
- In May 2016, Exeter College was awarded a Times Educational Supplement Further Education Award 2016 for Apprenticeship Programme of the Year.
- Exeter College and Devon County Council was recognised nationally for the pioneering and innovative Haven Banks Outdoor Education Centre. The partnership was recognised with an Association of Colleges (AoC) Beacon Award for Innovation 2015-16 in Further Education.
- In Jan 2014, Ofsted awarded the college Grade 1 ‘Outstanding’ for Outcomes for Learners, Teaching, Learning and Assessment, Leadership and Management and Overall Effectiveness which makes Exeter College one of the top performing colleges in the country. Click here to find out more on our Ofsted grading. Click here to read the Ofsted report.
- In November 2012, Exeter College won two prestigious Times Educational Supplement Further Education Awards for Outstanding Provider of the Year and Outstanding Leadership of Learning and Skills Awards.
- In July 2014, Exeter College was awarded the BTEC College of the Year.
What do we offer?
As a successful tertiary college we now offer a wide range of courses and students can choose those that reflect their individual ability, aspiration and interest.
- over 40 AS and A2 subjects,
- the prestigious International Baccalaureate,
- a wide range of over 90 vocational and industry led courses (entry level to level 3)
- the largest choice of apprenticeship frameworks in Devon for young people and adults
- a number of programmes designed to support those young people and adults not in education, employment or training
- adult learning courses – from leisure to professionally accredited programmes
- bespoke training and development courses for employers and employees
- over 30 university-level courses, including Foundation Degrees, in partnership with the Universities of Plymouth, Exeter, Marjon and Kingston and BTEC.
The college continues to serve the city of Exeter but we also attract students from across Devon with over 60% of our 16 - 18 learners coming from across Devon and the south west.
The college boasts a number of specialist academies providing training for sports, enterprise, journalism, music, academically gifted and hospitality and catering students. We have developed very strong employer links through our curriculum and through Business Solutions, the college's dedicated employer engagement team, with leading local and international employers, such as Flybe, Met Office, Michael Caines and many small and medium enterprises, ensuring our vocational courses and apprenticeship training mirrors current industry trends and initiatives.
We recognise the importance of working closely with local authorities, national, community and employer groups in order to support the local community and economy and we deliver key initiatives particularly with Princes' Trust, Careers South West and the local Chambers of Commerce.
This school offers programs in: