Be who you want to be at Barnet and Southgate College
Why are we different?
We link the majority of our 1,500 courses to a specific career or academic route; we want to help each student achieve their goals, whether that’s getting the right job or going onto higher education. We keep a close eye on the jobs market across all industry sectors from catering to construction to business management, creative arts, IT, automotive technologies, sport, hairdressing, beauty, health and social care. Armed with this industry information, we shape our curriculum so that all courses are in line with what employers currently need. The College is renowned for its broad range of courses and the high quality of its teaching. With full and part time courses in: A Levels, foundation degrees, professional qualifications, vocational studies, work skills training and education for people with learning difficulties and disabilities. Due to our excellent contacts our wide range of academic and vocational training is directly linked to local employers and regional industry demand.
We’re one of the largest colleges in North London with over 21,000 students and we’re a prolific member of the 157 Group : an organisation that represents 27 of the largest, most successful and influential further education colleges in England. We deliver more than 20 subject areas across three main campuses at: Wood Street (High Barnet), Southgate and Grahame Park (Colindale). Being part of a large and vibrant College community benefits students as they prepare for the workplace or university.
The diverse environment offers an excellent opportunity to meet a broader horizon of people and a larger College also brings with it bigger and better facilities, with state of the art campuses, one of which, is about to be transformed and relocated to a brand new five storey building close to Colindale tube station. The Colindale Skills Centre will replace the Grahame Park campus and will include a construction technology centre, training hair salon open to the public and a public library.
In fact, we’re recognised for some of the best facilities in the UK including: the hi-tech £50 million campus at Wood Street, automotive, construction and electrical workshops, a commercial spa management centre and hairdressing salon, commercial training restaurants, a mechatronics centre and industry standard science laboratories. As well as three specialist training centres: SCBP automotive, a state of the art Learning Disability Centre (LDC) - at the Southgate Campus and our Catering and Hospitality Centre of excellence; Hospitality House in East Finchley.
The A Level department based at Wood St campus is the second largest provider in the Barnet and Enfield area. Many of our A level students go onto Russell Group universities across the UK and the resounding message from them is that they achieve great results due to the excellent teaching and the fact that they’re given the opportunity to work independently and they feel empowered to work hard to achieve their goals; College acts as the perfect stepping stone to university or the workplace.
Employability and enterprise is at the core of what the College is all about and as part of this we seek out relevant partnerships and work with organisations such as InspireEngage and the Peter Jones Academy . We’re also proud to be the only College in Greater London in partnership with REED NCFE hosting the Employment Zone directly on campus at Wood St. The service offers students direct access to local jobs and tailored training for these positions; REED NCFE works with students to help them become three times more likely to be interviewed, recruited, and promoted.
The College also offers a broad range of student support services such as mentors, counsellors, work experience co-ordinators and careers advisors working closely with Careers Coach, matching courses to careers. These services are accredited by Matrix an external standard that recognises quality in advice and support services. We also offer specialised courses designed to get people back into work; a Job Centre Plus (JCP) Centre is based on site at the Southgate Campus, open daily to the public offering advice, courses and local job vacancies. Everything that the College does revolves around the needs of employers and the employment prospects of students. College courses and the businesses they serve are so closely matched that we see them as two sides of the same coin. Work placements and industry experience are integral to most courses across all departments and it’s this vital experience that gives our students the competitive edge when looking for a job, or securing a place at their chosen University, or having the inspiration to re-train at College for a new career.
Whoever you choose to be, we can help you match the right course to the right career.
London is changing. The Economy is changing. So are we.
The College’s vision is:
"To be the most innovative, inspirational and employment focused learning organisation in the education sector."
The College’s mission is to:
"Provide outstanding learning and employment related opportunities within every market we operate and to offer the highest level of expertise and knowledge which will enrich the personal and professional lives of our customers."
- LEARNER CENTRED: Putting the learner at the centre of everything we do
This means we:
- Listen to our learners and act on their feedback
- Tailor our services and delivery to meet their needs
- Are adaptable, flexible and responsive to learner needs
- Always try to bring out the best in our learners and help them achieve their potential
- Consider the impact on our learners in our decision making and College policies
- Go the extra mile to support our learners
IMPROVING: Continuously learning and improving ourselves
This means we:
- Reflect on and evaluate how we work
- Learn from any mistakes and plan to avoid them in future
- Embrace new information, methods of working and technology
- Participate in learning activities inside and outside of the College
- Develop ourselves to be the best we can be
- Share our own learning with others
PROFESSIONALISM: Being professional and setting a great example to others
This means we:
- Aim for excellence and take pride in what we do
- Are organised, consistent and can be relied upon to do what we say we will do
- Are polite, helpful and represent the College in the best way we can
- Take responsibility for our work and our actions
- Have a positive and ‘can do’ approach to helping our learners and colleagues
EQUALITY: Promoting equality and inclusiveness
This means we:
- Treat people fairly
- Respect differences and treat people as individuals
- Are supportive and understanding of each other
- Recognise the contribution that others make
- Promote equality and diversity to learners and colleagues
TEAMWORKING: Working as part of one College team
This means we:
- Help and support our colleagues
- Inspire and motivate each other in our work
- Are reliable and do what we say we will do
- Act with honesty and integrity
- Work together to achieve common team and College goals
- Respect each other and the value of the different jobs we do
CHALLENGING: Challenging the norm
This means we:
- Are open minded and can take risks
- Challenge existing ways of doing things
- Look at things differently and find better ways
- Anticipate and solve problems innovatively
- Are creative and come up with great new ideas
- Are ambitious and successful in what no other Colleges are doing
This school offers programs in: