University of Southampton Pre-Masters programme
The University of Southampton Pre-Masters is an academically rigorous programme designed to equip international students with the academic and English language skills they will need to get the most from a University of Southampton taught Masters degree.
University of Southampton academic staff teach the Pre-Masters and all classes are delivered on campus. Subject to satisfactory performance, students are guaranteed a place on their chosen Masters programmes at the University.
The University of Southampton Pre-Masters has six pathways, including one for students wishing to progress onto one of the MA Design: Management pathways offered by Winchester School of Art (See below for list of pathways).
Who is the Pre-Masters Winchester School of Art pathway for?
The University of Southampton Pre-Masters for students wanting to progress onto a Masters at Winchester school of Art is taken over two semesters, starting in September. It is suitable for:
- International students
- Students who have qualifications or grades that do not meet University of Southampton’s direct entry criteria for Masters level study
- Students who wish to take a Masters’ degree in a subject different to the one they majored in for their Bachelors degree
- Students who feel they need to improve their academic English, study and research skills before pursuing Masters level study.
The University of Southampton Pre-Masters programme has the following key aims:
- To enable students to develop skills to address and resolve academic problems critically and reflectively
- To engage students in research-led academic study related to the Masters programme they intend to join
- To enable students to develop the academic English language skills essential for success at Masters level
- To help students develop the necessary cultural and study skills for effective learning through the medium of English
- To familiarise students with the academic environment at Southampton and introduce them to life in the UK.
Programme Structure and Assessment
The programme is made up of 20 hours of timetabled classes each week, including lectures, seminars and one-to-one tutorials. The one-to-one tutorials provide guidance to each student on their personal learning and progression.
All modules are assessed through coursework assignments, presentations, exams and the research project.
English for Masters Study: These classes focus on academic writing, listening and note taking, academic reading (Students have the opportunity to deal with their own specialist subject), grammar, pronunciation and speaking skills.
Reasoning, Study and Research Skills: This module is based around 5 themes and includes a lecture and five hours of classroom work:
(1). Advanced Study Skills
(2). Critical Reading and Listening
(3). Critical Thinking
(4). Critical Writing, Group Work and Oral Presentation
(5). Research Skills
Research Project: Students undertake a research project of their own choice and are supervised by a member of staff from the Faculty of Humanities
Lecture Review: Students develop their understanding of the concepts and approaches used in lectures at a UK university through lecture review sessions
Subject Pathway Module:
Introduction to Management: This starts with an overview of the historical developments within the field of management and moves on to explore the various aspects of management such as: What is management? What do managers do? Business ethics and corporate social responsibility, strategic management, operations management, business analytics, project management, marketing, accounting, entrepreneurship and innovation, organisational structures, culture, teams, individual performance, organisational power and control, change management.
Winchester School of Art MA Design: Management Pathways:
- MA Design: Design Management
- MA Design: Advertising Design Management
- MA Design: Fashion Management
- MA Design: Fashion Marketing and Branding
- MA Design: Luxury Brand Management
- MA Design: Global Media Management
- MA Design: Games Design & Art