The central topic of the summer school is the application of intelligent, robust robots as part of future smart factories. The lecture comprises three segments covering the central topics of communication between heterogeneous systems, adaptive industrial robotics, and autonomous mobile robotics for in-factory logistics.
Within the first week, we discuss how to establish communication between heterogeneous systems. We explore the usage of OPC UA and other protocols in modern industrial scenarios. A practical application concludes the lab course. The second segment addresses industrial robots in dynamic environments. You will learn and apply methods for online path planning, how to deal with uncertain sensor data, and get a glimpse on machine learning for robotic behavior generation. The third week introduces autonomous mobile multi-robot systems as seen in the RoboCup Logistics League. You will learn to design and implement behavior and task execution software, from state machines to knowledge-based reasoning systems.
The RWTH International Academy works closely together with the International Office, the Language Center of the RWTH Aachen University and the Institute Cluster IMA/ZLW & IfU and Knowledge-Based System Group to offer a perfect mix of technical study and cultural experience. The Institute Cluster consists of the Institute of Information Management in Mechanical Engineering (IMA), the Center for Learning and Knowledge Management (ZLW), and the Assoc. Institute for Management Cybernetics e.V. (IfU). The second academic partner, the Knowledge-Based System Group is concerned with topics in knowledge representation, artificial intelligence, and cognitive robotics.
Communication between Heterogeneous Systems
- Communication between technical systems 101,
Practical unit: Sending raw data via TCP/IP and UDP (sockets)
- Historical outline of industrial communication: Digitalization in industrial communication (bus, protocols, industrial Ethernet, real-time),
Practical unit: Native protocols (sending commands, meta-data and payload)
- Standardization in industrial automation systems: OPC and DDS,
Practical unit: Generic device integration with OPC Data Access
- Towards a plug ‘n’ produce approach in future industrial applications: Web technology and OPC UA
- Object-oriented modelling of complex automation systems in OPC UA,
Practical unit: Using information models in automation applications
- Practical Friday: Application of OPC UA in a real-world scenario
Adaptive Industrial Robotics
- Introduction to Industrial Robots & Challenges for Industrial Robots in context of Cyber-physical Systems and I4.0,
Practical unit: Conventional robot programming
- Automatic Motion Planning,
Practical unit: Application of classical trajectory planning algorithms
- Handling Uncertainty and Perception,
Practical unit: Sensor integration in robotic manipulation task
- Machine Learning for Motion Planning,
Practical unit: Incorporation of ML-algorithms
- Practical Friday: DO IT! Get your own use case running
Autonomous Mobile Robotics for In-Factory Logistics
- Introduction to mobile Multi-Robot systems and the RoboCup Logistics League,
Practical unit: Operating robots in simulation and system analysis
- Basic behaviour programming,
Practical unit: Developing and simulating robot skills
- Functional Components: Perception and Navigation,
Practical unit: In-depth inspection of perception and navigation system and integration with skills
- Task-level reasoning and planning,
Practical unit: Specification of a sub-task agent
- Multi-Robot Coordination and Communication,
Practical unit: Extend an agent with a coordination scheme
The summer school programme is based on the following pillars:
- Excellent Science and Research in Robotics
- German Language and Culture
- Social Events during an extensive leisure time programme - Have fun while studying!
The fees for the three-week Robotics for Future Industry Applications Summer School amount to EUR 2 800.
The course fees include all lectures, laboratory courses and excursions, social events, accommodation, breakfast, lunch, all meals during social events and a public transport ticket for the respective time.
Early Bird Discount: complete your application until 1 March to get a 10% discount on the total fees - in case of admission!
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 24, 2015