Professional Certificate in Management
If you’re new to management, or you need to develop your managerial abilities and understanding, this certificate course is for you. It provides a broad-based, practical introduction to the key ideas, techniques and competencies needed to manage effectively and productively in all functional areas of modern organisations. The emphasis is on your own professional development – everything you study is related to the management roles and responsibilities you exercise.
Key features of the course
- Build on your existing experience to develop your learning
- Apply newly learned skills, knowledge and techniques immediately in your own context
- Respond to the management development needs of your organisation, wherever you are in the world
- Applicable to the commercial, public or voluntary sector.
This programme aims to:
- enable you to perform more effectively as a manager
- increase your knowledge of and competencies in basic management skills
- provide a repertoire of theories, concepts and techniques to apply in different management settings
- help you understand your individual management role and its context
- encourage you to become a reflective practitioner, applying independent and inquisitive learning in the workplace
- enable you to understand the discourse of specialist and senior managers so that you can:
- hold more confident and informed conversations with them
- work more effectively with them
- where appropriate, challenge them.
Teaching, learning and assessment methods
Written study guides and texts with:
- clearly signposted content
- explicit aims and objectives
- examples and activities
- tutor-marked assignments
- end-of-module assessments
- a three-hour written examination
- face-to-face or online tutorials facilitated by a group tutor
- online activities
- a Residential School
- examples and case studies in the module units
- study materials.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £3,070 based on our current fees.
- NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 1 year
- Time limit – 4 years
This certificate is ideal if you are in a first management or supervisory position, or if you are planning to further your management career. The skills and knowledge you’ll develop are highly valued by employers, especially in contexts such as leadership and management development, establishing new businesses and management/business consultancy. A qualification in management can lead to opportunities in a wide range of areas such as:
- middle and senior management positions across all sectors
- advertising and marketing
- human resources
- banking, including investment banking
- sales and retail
- management consultancy
- business journalism
- transport and logistics.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 24, 2015