Print Design & Publishing
Our accredited one-year, practical Print Design and Publishing course is designed to give you a thorough understanding of the print media environment. You will learn to master the tools, practices and terminology required to produce professional print media. You will emerge confident enough to apply your skills from pre-press to post-press: receiving a brief, conceptualizing a visual solution; presenting the ideas professionally; executing a concept digitally through the use of a wide range of industry standard application programs such as Adobe InDesign®, Illustrator® and Photoshop®, and applying finishing art techniques to take your documents to press, and, finally, presenting the final body of work in a professional manner.
What to Expect from your studies
The first year is packed with theoretical & practical training that includes:
- Scamping techniques
- History of Desktop Publishing & Typography
- Conceptualisation Techniques
- Raster Image Editing & Manipulation
- Layout Design Principles & Techniques
- Brochure & Editorial Design
- Vector Illustration Principles & Techniques
- Corporate Identity Design & Cross Media Publishing
- Designing for Tablets & Mobile Devices
- Printed Portfolio Book Project
You will learn how to use the following Software Applications:
- Adobe® Photoshop®
- Adobe® InDesign®
- Adobe® InDesign® Digital Publishing Suite
- Adobe® Illustrator®
- Adobe® Acrobat®
You will be able to do the following on completion of the course:
- Scamp creative ideas on paper using various mediums such as pencil, ink.
- Render drawings with increased speed & proficiency.
- Create professional-looking storyboards to express your conceptual ideas.
- Apply colour confidently in a designs and layouts.
- Apply the essentials of typography
- Apply the principles and elements of design to your creative work
- Hand-draw simple, original illustrations for your projects
- Produce a variety of printed media, including brochures, editorials, product packaging, wine labels and posters
- Produce interactive PDF presentations, cross media campaigns, online banners and flash micro-sites, including a mini digital Flash portfolio for online display.
You must be 18 years of age or older, you must have obtained a Matric Certificate and you must be fluent in spoken and written English. Previous Art or Design training at a school level is an advantage.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 14, 2016