Postgraduate Certificate in Business Administration
This postgraduate certificate in business administration will enable you make a real difference within your management practice through active use of frameworks, theories and tools. It will help you to develop a good grounding in the theory and practice of managing and leading, covering the core functions and disciplines of management and helping you make the connections between them. It provides a framework for a year-long process of professional development which challenges you to engage actively with a wide variety of ideas and to develop a repertoire of techniques and approaches best suited to your own situation and management context.
This postgraduate certificate course will enable you to gain a better understanding of your own management practice in the context of learning about different management functions within organisations. You will gain confidence in understanding how they operate and in having successful conversations across these areas, including:
- managing people and organisations
- project and change management.
Over the course of a year’s study you will learn, develop and consolidate your understanding of the principal management functions. The certificate course aims to:
- develop your understanding of the core and current frameworks, theories and tools and to assess their relevance to the issues of twenty-first century leading and managing
- increase your awareness of different perspectives on, and approaches to, managing and leading in different organisational and cultural contexts
- develop your ability to engage critically with management frameworks, theories and tools helping you to select and adapt techniques and approaches appropriate to own management context, in order to have a real impact on your management practice
- develop your awareness of the wider global context in which business and management takes place, and increase your ability to work confidently across sectoral and national boundaries
- develop interpersonal and conceptual skills that will help you to use ideas and frameworks to make sense of, and to work with, organisational complexity
- challenge your own thinking and practice by reflecting upon it critically in the light of the ideas you encounter, and through debates with others
- enhance your ability to plan and implement change which will have real impact within your own organisational context.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Business Administration provides you with a comprehensive grounding in important areas of managerial work. You will be exposed to a diverse range of managerial challenges and contexts. You will learn why and how to employ a wide variety of managerial techniques and approaches. Your interpersonal skills and self-awareness will be enhanced. Particular benefits to be gained from the study programme are:
- Your foundation management knowledge and competencies will increase.
- You will better understand your individual management role, its context and the nature of interventions you make in your organisation.
- You will be a more reflective practitioner, better able to apply independent learning and inquisitive thinking in the workplace.
- You will increase your understanding of how management theories, concepts and techniques apply to your current work and organisation.
- You will be able to demonstrate how different specialisms contribute to generic management tasks and projects.
- You will develop analytical, reflective and decision-making skills.
- You will be better at critical analysis and your intellectual curiosity will be aroused.
- Your understanding of management problems will be extended beyond your own organisation or sector.
- You will be better at holding informed conversations with functional specialists and drawing on their expertise effectively.
- You will be better at making appropriate interventions and decisions in the management of teams, projects and departments.
- You will be more aware of a strategic view of organisational objectives and be better at contributing to these.
Teaching, learning and assessment methods
The study programme is learner centred and the assessment is integrated with the learning activities through tutor-marked assignments and a final examination.
The University wishes to emphasise that, while every effort is made to regularly update this site, the material on it is subject to alteration or amendment in the light of changes in regulations or in policy or of financial or other necessity.
This certificate is designed for professionals from a wide range of contexts and backgrounds who need actively to engage with the challenges of twenty-first century management. It will enable you to develop your management skills and knowledge of management frameworks, theories and tools and to use these appropriately in order to make a real difference in your own practice.
The entry requirements for this qualification are normally a UK honours degree or equivalent professional qualification, and have a minimum of three years’ experience in a managerial, professional or technical role. Usually this means that you are at least 25 years old as it is unusual (but not impossible) to be able to satisfy the ‘experience’ requirement under this age.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 24, 2015