- Taught by a team of lecturers with a wide breadth of business knowledge and experience
- Excellent support throughout your time with the College
- Opportunities to take part in work experience placements and a range of work related activities including visits to local businesses
- Experience running your own business
- Great opportunities to progress to further study or employment.
Who Is This Course For?
Interested in learning about business organisations, policy, strategy and management? Want to develop the knowledge on how to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a business and how to communicate the results? Want to be able to identify whether or not a business is performing well financially? Want to develop the skills to rise up the ranks within a business or thinking about owning your own business one day?
This career path will give you the skills needed to develop your knowledge and understanding of business organisations and offer a fascinating insight into modern business and commerce techniques.
What Does This Course Cover?
You will study a total of eighteen units throughout the two academic years for the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business. Five mandatory units will provide a general foundation and thirteen specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- The Business Environment
- Business Resources
- Introduction to Marketing
- Business Communication
- Business Accounting
- Human Resource Management in Business.
These will include:
- Understanding Business Ethics
- Creative Product Promotion
- Recruitment and Selection in Business
- Internet Marketing
- Development Planning for a Career in Business
- Aspects of Contract and Business Law.
The content of the course may be subject to variation should the awarding body issue changes within the academic year.
Alongside your main qualification, you will study GCSE English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade in these subjects at A*-C. If you have achieved a grade C or above in English and Maths then your lecturers will look to extend these skills through focused activities and exercises.
In order to maximise your chances of succeeding in entering the career of your choice after your studies and to help your Personal Tutor determine your suitability for any work experience placement opportunities, you will also be required to attend Employability Skills sessions.
Are There Any Entry Requirements?
You will require:
- a minimum of 15 points at GCSE to include at least 4 GCSEs at grade C or above or a Level 2 Diploma qualification at grade Merit in a Business related subject
- GCSE English Language at grade C or above or Functional Skills English at Level 2.
For mature applicants without the necessary entry qualifications, your English and Maths skills will be assessed to ensure your suitability for this level of course. If required to complete an assessment, you will need to achieve a minimum of Level 2 in English.
All applicants will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the Business team to discuss the course and its requirements in more detail.
How Much Will I Have To Study Each Week?
The course is delivered over approximately 20 hours a week, usually over four days. In addition, it is expected that you will spend approximately 5 hours of independent study each week completing homework or assignment/project work.
Classes will normally be between 9.00am and 5.00pm.
What Level Is This Qualification?
This qualification is Level 3 and runs for 2 academic years.
Do I Need To Purchase Anything?
You need to ensure you come to all sessions work ready and have appropriate stationery to take notes and an A4 ring binder and pocket wallets in which to store your assignments/projects and other documents handed out by your lecturers. You will also require a USB on which to store your work electronically.
For studying Maths or a Maths related subject, a calculator and appropriate Maths equipment will also be required.
Your lecturers will inform you if recommended textbooks are required for purchase.
How Will I Be Assessed?
All units on the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business qualification are assessed through assignment and project work based on realistic business and workplace situations.
Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion of the full qualification.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination.
Although not examined, on completion of the course, you will receive a College Certificate of Accreditation evidencing the topics covered within your Employability Skills sessions.
How Will My Progress Be Monitored?
At the beginning of the year, you and your Personal Tutor will agree attendance and punctuality targets alongside grade achievement targets which will be based on your qualifications on entry to the course.
Your progress against these targets will be regularly monitored by your Personal Tutor who will hold 1:1 review meetings with you and where required, agree additional targets with you to ensure that you achieve your target grades and thus, reach your full potential.
What Can I Do After This Course?
The Level 3 Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A Levels and can attract a maximum of 420 UCAS points.
On successful completion of this course you can:
- Progress into Higher Education to undertake a Degree in Business or a business related subject
- Progress onto a higher level course programme such as an HND in Business or a business related subject
- Progress onto an Apprenticeship programme leading to a career pathway in Business or another career of your choice
- Enter a business related career such as administration, finance, accounting, customer services, sales, marketing, advertising, human resources or management.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 2, 2016