Diploma of Higher Education in Engineering
Engineering plays a central role in every aspect of our lives – from the built environment, electricity generation and transport networks to smartphones and bicycles. If you’re working in engineering-related employment at a technical level and would like to boost your career, this foundation degree is for you. A step up from an apprenticeship, it combines academic skills with the needs of your workplace.
Key features of the course
- Applies the study of engineering fundamentals like energy, design, manufacturing, materials, mechanics and structural analysis, to the solution of real-life problems
- Builds on your existing skills and experience to support your professional development plans
- Maths options to suit your confidence and experience
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
We aim to give you the knowledge and skills you need to work effectively in the engineering sector. Your Foundation Degree in Engineering will help you develop:
- knowledge and critical understanding of engineering fundamentals in such areas as energy, design, manufacturing, materials, mechanics and structural analysis
- personal and transferable skills in information handling and numeracy, IT and communication, problem solving, leadership and personal management
- practical and professional skills that will enhance your employability and career prospects.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £10,528 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 4-6 years
- Time limit – 9 years
Whatever field of engineering you currently work in, this course will enhance your career prospects. Qualified engineers are much in demand for their rigorous approach to problem solving and high level of numeracy – with opportunities in research, design and development, commissioning, project management, technical sales and marketing, technical journalism and patent work.
You must be currently working in engineering-related employment to study this qualification. You also need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in: