Diploma of Higher Education in Business
How are businesses organised? How do they develop strategies, handle risk and take decisions? And how do these factors impact on a business organisation? This diploma course will provide you with a general understanding of business organisations and their structures and cultures; wider considerations such as environments, markets and processes; and how all these work together to contribute to organisational success.
Key features of the course
- Explores core business functions such as marketing, accounting and finance
- Helps you link your studies to your own working life
- Enhances your employability
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
This qualification aims to provide you with:
- a general understanding of business organisations, their structures and cultures, wider considerations such as environments, markets and processes, and how all these work together to contribute to organisational success
- an ability to analyse how businesses are organised, develop strategies, handle risk and take decisions, and the impact of these factors on your working life
- an insight into essential business functions such as marketing, accounting and finance, and their relevance to working life
- relevant and practical skills, in particular IT, numerical, study and thinking skills
- the necessary skills to engage in a process of lifelong learning, including progression to higher awards, and to develop yourself as a reflective practitioner.
Teaching, learning and assessment methods
You will learn independently, using printed teaching texts; directed readings from textbooks and papers; and online activities and resources.
We will support your learning with self-assessment questions and exercises, included in the teaching texts; feedback and guidance from a tutor, including, depending on location, support via tutorials, telephone or email; online forums; and study guides. We will assess your learning with tutor-marked assignments (TMAs), interactive computer-marked assignments (iCMAs), end-of-module assessments (EMAs) and formal examinations.
You will develop your cognitive skills by engaging with analysis and design exercises. These skills are assessed by questions in the TMAs and exams that ask for the application of concepts in given situations. You will be asked to provide evidence of using these skills in your place of work and will be encouraged to reflect on your learning and plan for improvement. You will be supported in developing these skills by guidance provided in the study materials, together with feedback from your tutor and place of work supervisor. Online forums are an integral resource in several modules and you are expected to take part in online discussions moderated by your tutor who will give guidance as needed. Some of these discussions will form part of your assessment. Assessment of your written communication skills will be integral to the programme.
You will be encouraged to draw together the skills you acquire through the modules with those you practice in your place of work. Assessment will mainly be based on the evidence you will provide of applying skills in your everyday working environment.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £10,528 based on our current fees.
- NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 4 years
- Full time – 2 years
- Time limit – 12 years
The skills and knowledge you’ll develop by studying this qualification will help you towards a number of career paths, and are recognised by employers as having great value for work in management, marketing, accounting, HR, and business consultancy in a variety of sectors. A qualification in business can lead to opportunities in a wide range of areas such as:
- middle and senior management positions across all sectors
- advertising and marketing
- human resources
- banking, including investment banking
- sales and retail
- management consultancy
- business journalism
- transport and logistics
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in: