Course in Applied Methodology
In this course, students will gain understanding, skills and competence in research planning, statistics, qualitative methodology and the art of reading and writing technical texts. Topics in quantitative section include: Logical components of research projects; sampling and sampling design; and interpretation of statistics in technical/scientific texts. Topics in qualitative section include: Designing a qualitative research; data collection in qualitative research; data processing and interpretation. A special emphasis will be put on how to mix up qualitative and quantitative methods, and how to write technical and non-technical texts for their own projects (thesis, proposals, manuscripts etc.).
At the end of the course, students will:
- have gained understanding of various quantitative and qualitative research methods and the importance of research planning
- have gained ability to assess logical components of research methods for a case study/research project
- be able to design their own sampling strategy and organize their data
- be able to mix up qualitative and quantitative methods and apply to interdisciplinary research
- be able to read technical and non-technical texts
- be able to write technical and non-technical texts for their own projects (thesis, proposals, manuscripts etc.)
Assignments include a master's thesis outline and proposal.
Albertína Friðbjörg Elíasdóttir earned her MSc in Geography from the University of Iceland, Reykjavík doing a 90 ECTS research thesis on Place Attachment and Place Identity in Ísafjörður. She did a BA degree in Sociology from the University of Iceland where she finished 7 different methodology and research courses focusing on both qualitative and quantitative methods. Albertína previously worked for the University of Iceland Research Centre in Bolungarvík for two years as a researcher in tourism, as well as a project manager at the University Centre of the Westfjords, and a project manager for FabLab in Ísafjörður (run by the Innovation Centre Iceland). Currently, she is works at Akureyrarstofa.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 23, 2015