Imperial College Business School inspires brilliant minds to become future business leaders.
We offer short, intensive Summer School courses that give students the opportunity to increase their academic standing and spend the summer in central London, one of the most vibrant and culturally-enriched cities in the world.
The Business School is at the centre of Imperial College, a global top 10 university, so attending our Summer School will give you the opportunity to experience studying at a world-leading university, develop your network and will be an impressive enhancement to your CV.
Corporate Finance: 18 July - 5 August 2016
This Corporate Finance course provides you with an overview of the key factors that affect the cost of capital for corporations. You will develop an understanding of the capital structure and pay-out decisions for corporations and evaluate how investment and financing decisions are related. Emphasis will be placed on appreciating the limitations and challenges that are faced when applying the theoretical framework of corporate finance to real world problems. By the end of the course you will be able to evaluate, for any type of firm, the risk-adjusted returns of investment project, the optimal mix of debt and equity, the optimal instrument to return cash to shareholders, and the value of a business from the intrinsic and relative value approaches.
Topics covered will include:
- Fundamental principles of corporate finance
- Financial statements, objectives of the firm
- Capital Structure in a perfect market: debt vs. equity financing
- Financial distress and the optimal financial mix
- Dividends and share repurchases
- WACC, APV, alternative approaches
- Equity, firm value, and revenue multiples
- Raising equity capital, IPOs, SEOs
- Private firms, growth firms and acquisitions
- Direct contact hours: 63 hours across the 3 weeks
- Academic level: Equivalent to a final year undergraduate course
- Entry requirement: A level maths or equivalent
- You can gain academic credit towards your studies at other institutions on completion of this course. Suggested credit level: 3 – 4 US / 7.5 ECTS credits. Your home institution will determine how much credit is awarded
Delivered by a mix of face-to-face lectures and classes, lecture content and class material will be made available through an interactive online teaching and learning hub – The Summer School Hub.
A supporting class will follow each lecture and use case studies, structured discussions and in-class exercises to demonstrate the application of concepts as you learn. You will also be expected to complete private study and exam preparation work outside of your scheduled classes.
A guest speaker programme, with presentations from high profile financial institutions, will put the course material into a practical context.
- Multiple choice question quizzes – (30% of final mark)
- 1 final individual examination – (70% of final mark)
Imperial College London will issue an official transcript with a final overall numerical mark – a breakdown of results will not be provided.
£1,755 for applications received before 1 March 2016, £1950 for applications received after 1 March 2016.
The full list of Summer School courses on offer in 2016 is:
Session 1: 27 June - 15 July 2016
- Entrepreneurial Smart Camp
- Principles of Finance
Session 2: 18 July - 5 August 2016
- Business Strategy & Consulting
- Corporate Finance
- Strategic Marketing
Imperial College Business School runs an intensive but stimulating Summer School programme that gives students the chance to increase their academic standing in one of the most vibrant and culturally-enriched cities in the world. With six courses spread over two sessions and a varied social programme, Summer School is a fantastic taster to life at Imperial and in London.
- Open to undergraduates, postgraduates and working professionals
- Gain academic credit towards your studies
- Enhance your CV
- Study at a global top ten ranked university
- Experience an enriching summer in the heart of London
- Make new friends and develop your network of contacts
- Enjoy our lively social programme
"Summer School is an exceptional opportunity to immerse yourself in a richly stimulating environment and develop the practical skills to critically assess the world’s most pressing business issues."
Louis Albertini, Summer School 2014 Student
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 14, 2016