The Combined Course is designed to provide a thorough knowledge of general English combined with a focus on particular areas of interest or learning weakness for the individual student. Students attend the Intensive Course in the mornings and have five hours’ individual tuition per week in the afternoons. Students can decide with their teacher which area of specific interest they want to concentrate on in the individual lessons. The timetable is flexible and may be agreed with the teacher to allow some free afternoons.
20 x 60 minute group lessons = 20 hours’ group tuition per week + 5 x 60 minute individual lessons = 5 hours’ individual tuition perweek.
All levels are available from beginner* to advanced.
- Beginner’s courses are held on fixed dates.
Minimum Course Duration
The Combined Course is designed for students aged 17+
Average Number of Students per class
8-10 per class (depending on the time of year)
Maximum class size
Testing and Placement
Students are given an oral and written test on the first day of their course and placed in a class appropriate to their level of English. Students’ progress is monitored on an ongoing basis and their class level is adjusted accordingly.
Students attending a Combined Course can prepare for the following examinations: University of Cambridge (PET, FCE, Advanced & Proficiency), TIE Examination, TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS and BEC 1/2/3. It is also possible to prepare for other examinations on request. All examinations are subject to availability and payment of the appropriate fee.
We use the most up-to date textbooks and teaching materials. Textbooks are not included in the course fee. Students can purchase textbooks from the school or from recommended bookstores in the city centre. Textbooks cost approximately €35. We can include the cost of a first book in your invoice on request.
Please check availability with the Institute before confirming any of our courses. Once the booking is confirmed students can begin their course on any Monday morning at 09.00am, except for complete beginners who can only start on fixed dates.
What is included in the course fee?
- Written and oral placement test Tuition (60 minutes per lesson)
- Interesting and stimulating supplementary course materials
- Use of multi-media facilities and free WiFi
- Ongoing support and monitoring by class teachers and Director of Studies
- Regular seminars such as “Living and Working in Ireland” and “CV Preparation and Interviews”
- Rich and varied Social Programme
- Diploma on completion of course with personalised student report
- Welcome Kit with guides and maps and student handbook
- Exclusive access to Emerald student website with information, interactive presentations and free learning resources.
This school offers programs in: