Child Development Pathway ranges from child care providers to child psychologists. Graduating students will be equipped to work with infants through preschoolers. They will study growth and development, nutrition, health and safety, and age appropriate curriculum activities.
As a Child Development major, you will:
- Study effective principle and practices of child development, in order to provide quality care and education to children 0-5.
- Develop a disposition for and strategies to communicate effectively with children, parents, peers and the community.
- Identify the theoretical base for child development and the different curriculum structures to form your own philosophy of how to best meet the while child needs of children.
- Identify a wide range of career opportunities and gear your course of study to that career.
- Two specialty areas for a master teacher
- Courses in early literacy
- Courses in violence prevention
- Variety of courses in creative arts
- Correspondence courses in the core curriculum
Training combines classroom instruction with hands-on campus work experience.
We have three Child Development Courses to choose from:
- Certificate of Accomplishment Associate Teacher with 14 total core units
- Certificate of Achievement in Child Development with 26 total core units
- Associate in Arts Degree Child Development with 35 total core units and 60 total units.
Students apply this knowledge in a variety of early childhood programs such as Public and Private Schools, Family Day Care Settings, Child Development Centers, Social Work, and so many others.
- Infant Caregivers (Median Salary $28,954)
- Preschool Teachers
- Parent Educators (Median Salary $30,000)
- Child Psychologists
- Teacher’s Aides
- Head Start Teachers
- After-School Program Supervisors
- Family Child Care Supervisors
- Adoption or School Counselors
- Child Protection Social Workers
This school offers programs in:
Child Protection Social Worker jobs are expected to grow at a rate of 12% by 2018. The starting monthly salary of a Child Protection Social Worker is anywhere from $2500.00 to $3831.00 plus benefits. The average annual salary is between $25,000 to $47,000.
Last updated June 22, 2016