Certificate of Higher Education in Sport, Fitness and Management
What makes a top-flight sports coach or fitness instructor? This certificate investigates the factors that contribute to success, and gives you an in-depth knowledge of how the sector works. Focusing on the needs of participants or clients, you’ll explore training, nutrition, motivation, customer care and management principles – while increasing your current effectiveness and skills in these areas. As you study, you’ll always come back to what matters most: applying theory to practice.
Key features of the course
- Uses case studies and reflects on real and potential work situations
- Develops your understanding of your own work role
- Enhances your employability
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
The certificate will enable you to:
- develop an understanding of organisational, management and regulatory contexts relevant to a range of settings in sport and fitness
- develop the skills to reflect on work-based experience, forming new understandings of how work teams and organisations operate
- develop an understanding of the contribution of scientific knowledge and evidence-based practice to human performance.
Teaching, learning and assessment methods Knowledge and understanding of sport, fitness and health is developed through the main teaching materials and in-text questions, tasks and activities to support your learning. The main teaching material is offered through supported open learning modules with associated material, including module reading texts, audio-visual material and directed reading. Summative assessment is mainly by written tutor-marked assignments (TMAs), end-of-module reports and, in some cases, oral descriptions and explanations. Tutors support your development across all learning outcomes through online and face-to-face tutorials, written feedback on assignments and online/telephone support.
Cognitive skills are assessed by module assignments. These will allow you to demonstrate your ability to structure a clear and reasoned argument and to analyse module issues. Work-Based Learning Projects will offer you the opportunity to demonstrate independent thinking skills; to demonstrate your understanding of theoretical concepts and the underpinning principles for working in sport, fitness and health; to show evidence of reflective practice; and to use appropriate methods of enquiry.
Key skills are referenced to QCA National Standards and are promoted within learning materials and as part of continuous assessment. Assessment criteria for TMAs require you to demonstrate your ability to communicate effectively and appropriately in writing and orally. The approach taken to key skills and work based learning is to place students’ experiences at the centre of their learning, and use reflective processes to interpret these workplace experiences. Reflection helps students to identify their strengths and weaknesses and develop an action plan to guide their future development.
Professional skills are developed through module work, including evidence-based project work. This is part of an increased awareness and understanding of practice in planning, delivery and evaluation of work activities, including exercise and fitness sessions. Reflection on practice will be central to this approach. There may be some development of group working skills through the use of web-based tasks.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £5,264 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 2 years
- Full time – 1 year
- Time limit – 7 years
If you’re aiming to access graduate level careers, this certificate is your first step on the way. After successfully completing the course, you’ll be able to build on your study to gain further professional qualifications – such as a foundation degree or full honours degree.
You do not need experience of working in sport and fitness prior to starting your studies, but you’ll find the modules and assignments much easier and more fulfilling if you can draw on employment experience (paid or unpaid) in the sector during your study.
You will also need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
Last updated July 24, 2015