Certificate of Higher Education in Environment
Natural and built environments support many aspects of our lives and livelihoods, but they’re under threat from climate change, biodiversity loss and resource depletion. This certificate course combines aspects of science, technology and social science to help you understand the environments in which we live and work; how our activities influence them; how they influence what we do; and how can we live sustainably within them.
Key features of the course
- Develops the knowledge and skills needed to understand and interpret local and global environmental problems
- Equips you to contribute positively to debates in this field
- Enhances your employability
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
This qualification aims to provide you with a broad knowledge and understanding of how the environmental impacts of technology in human activity systems can be shaped and managed in innovative ways. It also aims to help you to develop broad study and interdisciplinary skills, and to understand different disciplinary approaches to improve environmental management through ethical actions at individual, organisational and societal levels.
More specifically, the qualification aims to develop your:
- knowledge and understanding of the scientific, technical and socio-economic factors involved in the environmental impacts of complex human activity systems
- knowledge and understanding of the impacts of energy use, waste management and environmental pollution and some of the technologies associated with them
- skills in the use of tools, methods and technologies that can be used to better seek appropriate information, to enhance design tasks and to improve the ‘managing’ practices that will contribute to environmental improvements in complex human activity systems
- skills of analysis, evaluation and communication, utilising digital technologies to improve learning and performance.
Teaching, learning and assessment methods
Teaching and learning is through a combination of both print and online resources, involving various activities, audiovisual and software tools. These resources are both bespoke and externally sourced.
Assessment is through a mix of tutor-marked assignments (TMAs), examinations and end-of-module assessments (EMAs).
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £5,264 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 2 years
- Full time – 1 years
- Time limit – 7 years
Directly relevant careers for those with environmental expertise include pollution control, waste management and recycling, water quality and resources, energy management, planning and sustainability, environmental management and consultancy, ecology and nature conservation, and environmental education. Professionals with qualifications in this subject area can find employment across a wide range of public, private and voluntary sectors. Graduates are found working in:
- environmental management
- environmental policy
- environmental consultancy
- environmental education
- local, national and international governmental agencies
- nature conservation
- information systems
- civil or diplomatic service
- overseas development
There are no formal requirements to study this degree. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part of the registration process.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 24, 2015