Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT
Ten years ago there was no Facebook or Twitter. Fifteen years ago broadband internet access at home was an unimaginable luxury. Twenty years ago you could only buy films, books and music on the high street. Where did the digital revolution begin? Where is it going? In the twenty-first century, technology dominates the way we live, work, socialise and play – and computing and IT skills are increasingly essential in today's workplace.
Key features of the course
- An ideal starting point for a career in information technology, computing, communication technology and related fields
- Introduces the fast-changing world of computing and IT, and develops your mathematics skills
- Sample tasters in computing and IT, networking, Linux and robotics
- Builds a solid foundation for further study.
The aim of this certificate is to equip you with the basic skills and knowledge that you will need to underpin a career in the computing and IT sector. It will develop your knowledge and understanding of the fundamental technologies, techniques and trends of modern digital technology and introduce you to some of the issues involved in their application. You will gain some practical experience in the use of a modern programming environment and ubiquitous computing devices.
Depending on which options you choose you will also gain valuable transferable skills and be prepared for further study in not only computing and IT but also a range of complementary subjects.
We believe cost shouldn’t be a barrier to achieving your potential. That’s why we work hard to keep the cost of study as low as possible and have a wide range of flexible ways to pay to help spread, or even reduce, the cost. Fees for study commencing in academic year 2014/2015 are:
- Fees are paid on a module-by-module basis – you won't have to pay for the whole of your qualification upfront.
- If like most OU students studying part time, you study an average of 60 credits a year – you’ll study for six years to complete a degree. Our typical fee for 60 credits is £2,632.
- Our current fee is £5,264 – based on 120 credits of study – which is equivalent to a year's full-time study.
- The total cost of your chosen qualification currently starts from £5,264 based on our current fees.
NB: Prices are subject to change.
How long does it take?
- Part time – 3 years
- Time limit – 7 years
Research by e-Skills UK has shown that IT and telecommunications now employs 1 in 20 of the UK workforce. It also suggests the digital sector will need nearly 300,000 new recruits by 2020 to meet the demand for skills in this area.
Finance, government, business, commerce, public services such as health and education, and the voluntary sector are all critically dependent on computing and IT systems. The Certificate of Higher Education in Computing and IT will enhance your employability whatever your current role, and is an ideal starting point for a career in information technology, computing, communication technology and related fields.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this qualification. You will however need to be proficient in English, to an IELTS standard of 6.0. If you are unsure you will be able to take a free English test as part fo the registration process.
Last updated July 24, 2015