How will it help me?
The course aims to develop the skills necessary for a successful career in HRM. You’ll be linking theory to practice and thereby developing your ability to deal with real business situations. You’ll also gain the necessary underpinning knowledge required to become a CIPD Associate, Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Do I qualify?
You normally qualify for entry to this course if you have an undergraduate degree in any discipline.In addition, professional qualifications, such as the CIPD Certificate in Personnel Practice/Human Resource Practice, and relevant experience are also accepted as entry to the programme. Relevant experience could include:
- Having the responsibility for Human Resource (HR) decision making within an organisation at operational, tactical or more strategic level;
- Being an HR professional in a team or HR functional management role, seeking to enhance and develop your career;
- Having responsibilities for the HR function and activities within an organisation without a specialist function;
- Being an independent or employed consultant who supports organisations in meeting their goals.
Where will I study?
The programme is based at the Canterbury campus.
What will I study?
Taught on a part-time basis (one afternoon and evening per week), the Advanced Diploma usually takes two years to complete. You’ll need to attend for two four hour sessions on the same day once a week, together with one Saturday workshop for each module. You’ll study eight modules in total, each worth 15 credits.
- Human Resource Management in Context
- Leading, Managing and Developing People
- Developing Skills for Business Leadership
- Leadership and Management Development
- Resourcing and Talent Management
- Employment Law
- Learning and Talent Development
- Investigating a Business Issue from an Human Resources Perspective
The modules are all standalone so it is possible to take them on an individual basis to meet the needs of your previous studies and personal circumstances.
You’ll be required to become a student member of the CIPD, paying the annual student fee for each year that you are enrolled on the course. This entitles you to full access to the CIPD’s website (www.cipd.co.uk) and the monthly People Management Journal, plus many other related benefits including the opportunity to attend CIPD Kent branch meetings and events.
On completion of the Advanced Diploma it is anticipated that you’ll stay a student member of the CIPD until you’re able to meet the Activity and Behaviour Criteria for the desired level of Professional Membership Associateship, Chartered Membership or Chartered Fellowship. You’ll be offered advice and support to help you to successfully undertake the online upgrade process. Successful completion of the Advanced Diploma enables access to the final year MA in HRM.
Last updated January 25, 2016