Associate Degree in Culinary Arts - San Antonio
Prepare for success in the professional kitchen with the CIA's Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Culinary Arts degree program. If you love to cook, this real degree program will give you every opportunity to satisfy that passion. In just 21 months, you will gain the fundamental knowledge and skills that prepare you to be an accomplished professional in the culinary arts.
In the associate in culinary arts degree program in Texas, you will:
- Develop a command of both classic and contemporary culinary methods and techniques in the CIA’s unique series of hands-on classes—starting the very first week.
- Prepare and understand the many global cuisines that drive today’s industry.
- Expand your horizons in basic baking, nutrition, menu development, food safety, writing, communication, and cost control.
- Put your new skills into action in an 18-week externship at one of more than 1,200 U.S. and international employers.
- Take courses in management, communication, and finance.
You’ll complete your learning in the CIA San Antonio’s award-winning, student-staffed restaurant—Nao. There you’ll complete your associate degree with both back-of-the-house and front-of-the-house experience under the guidance of our expert faculty, for the ultimate in hands-on CIA learning.
- A high school diploma or GED credential. We do not have a minimum GPA requirement.
- Recommendation — You'll need one from a foodservice employer or a culinary educator describing your foodservice experience.
- Foodservice experience — The CIA requires that you gain relevant experience in one of two ways before enrolling: by working in a non-fast food establishment with a professional kitchen for six months or by completing culinary classes at either the high school or college level. Please note that you do not need this experience to apply for admission — the requirement must be met before you enter the CIA.
This school offers programs in: